Table Mountain, Cape Town
|Share this page!|
Cape Town and its surroundings offer you experiences that will last a lifetime! Take a look at the categories below to find out what you should be doing!
The best views of Cape Town are seen from the top of Table Mountain. The Cableway takes you to the summit in under 10 minutes and the cable car's rotating floor ensure that all passengers get a 360 degree aerial view of the city.
History of the Cableway
- The Cableway was first built almost 79 years ago. On 4 October 1929 the Cableway opened its doors to its first visitors. The opening ceremony, led by the then mayor of Cape Town, drew 200 guests.
- Since then three upgrades have taken place, with the most recent in October 1997.
Number of Visitors to the Cableway
- To date the Cableway has transported more than 18 million passengers to the summit.
- 800 000 visitors from all over the world use the Cableway annually.
- Even with so many visitors, queuing time is minimal due to the new upgraded system.
About the cable cars
- The 65 passenger cable car runs from Tafelberg Road to the top of Table Mountain. The floor rotates giving everyone a 360 degree view on the way up.
- The cable car was imported from Switzerland and there are only 2 other such cable cars in the world, one in Titlis in the Swiss Alps in Switzerland, and one in Palm Springs in America.
- The cable cars take about 5-10 minutes to reach the top of the mountain and they travel at a speed of up to 10 meters per second.
- The cable cars can carry a maximum weight of 5200 kg and works on a counter weight system weighing 134 tonnes each.
- The length of the cables are 1200m.
- The cables weigh 18 tonnes.
- The height of Table Mountain at its highest point is 1085m.
- The round cable car offers excellent aerodynamics in Cape Town's famous strong South Easter winds.
- The base of the cable car is in fact a water tank that can carry up to 4000 litres of fresh water used to ballast during the windy season, they also supply fresh water for visitors.
Private Table Mountain Hike
You will be personally collected from your accommodation and transferred to the location of your experience. With the Summit Walk you will have a spectacular guided walk up Platteklip Gorge to Maclear's Beacon - Table Mountain's highest point. Discover unique flora and fauna, experience panoramic views of Cape Town and learn interesting facts about the history and significance of this incredible landmark. Once at the top of Table Mountain you can consider doing the Abseil. You will then return by cable car. On completion of your experience you will be personally transferred back to your accommodation.
Cost for one person - R900.00
|Return Time||Arrive at top of Table Mountain at approx 12h00 where we will then take a cable car back down the mountain..|
|Bring Along||Comfortable shoes, Sun Block and something warm to wear.
|Trip Includes||Refreshments. Personal return transport.
Excludes cable car ticket.